Monday, October 5, 2015

How to Wear a Maxi Dress/Skirt Guide for Petite Women

Hi Loves!
Happy Monday! I have been in the mood for maxi dresses and skirts for fall, as I have seen lots fall inspiration with some classy dresses! As a petite girl (I am 5' 2"), I have always loved the trend but never really knew how to wear it since every maxi dress or skirt I tried was wayyyy too long! I have shorter legs and a longer torso, so most of the time normal length pants and skirts are too long for me!

I decided to do some of my own research and come up with a guide on what I found for petite girls who want to wear Maxi dresses or skirts, as well as a few dresses or skirts from some shops that I really like! Maxi dresses or skirts are perfect for fall, as the temperatures get cooler you can trap some heat and also look rather fashionable! Here are some tips and shoppable links!

1. Wear heels  - You don't have to wear sky high heels, but any length can help. Even wearing ankle booties with a slight heel is better than nothing! A good alternative to getting height without sacrificing comfort is wearing wedge heels with a platform. Heels will lengthen the leg and flatter the lower body. You want the skirt to hit somewhere between the lower and upper part of your ankle. Anything longer will cause you to step on/drag the dress/trip, and anything shorter may actually make you look even shorter! You can always go to a tailor to shorten the skirt, which can be very helpful.

2. Accentuate your waist - a big thing to help a petite girl seem taller is to accentuate the waist, whether you are wearing a dress or a skirt. A belt always does the trick, and helps elongate the line making you seem taller! Even without a belt, look for dresses that cinch at the waist, so your petite frame is not overwhelmed. You can also tuck your shirt into the skirt for a high waisted look that will make you seem taller! A skirt with a foldable waist also allows you to adjust the length of the skirt as you can roll it down.






3. Pencil/A-line/Body con - Like accentuating your waist, you don't want to get lost in a very flowy skirt. Too baggy of a skirt can make you look larger on the bottom, and won't be as flattering. Look for a skirt that is more tightly fitted, to accentuate your curves.



4. Avoid horizontal lines - Horizontal line patterns tend to make a petite body look shorter because of the way it falls and looks to the eye. Opt for vertical lined patterns or more elongating patterns! You will notice you look longer and taller!




The best part? Maxi skirts are totally acceptable to wear to the lab! Score! (as long as you wear closed toed shoes, and the skirt for sure covers you down to your ankles! So yes, this is a handy guide for me to keep in mind to wear to lab now that the temperatures are cooling down and I want to be comfortable in the lab! 

Do you have any extra tips for petite girls that want to wear maxi skirts? or just wearing maxi skirts in general? Is there a piece of clothing you have trouble wearing for your body type? Let me know in the comments below, would love to hear about it and maybe even come up with a guide for it!

Have a great week!

xo
Andrea






SHARE:

13 comments

  1. This is very good that you can wear maxi skirts to the lab, dear Andrea! I loved your tips, like avoiding horizontal stripes, it's true, and to accentuate the waist! I am short (around 5'3) and I some time ago didn't wear long skirts, just midi ones, but long are so nice and practical that I started wearing them more often :) But yes, when I see my pictures I feel even shorter :) Nevertheless, I will go on wearing them :) Actually I think I am even boring, because I am wearing them every week :) I hope you have a very nice week, dear Andrea! Hugs and kisses!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips, definitely very useful for petite ladies!

    Bella Pummarola

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great tips since I am rather petite too! And a big YAY for you! I love that you wear maxi skirts to the lab! I personally love to wear at work too!
    Much love,
    Vanessa
    www.WhatWouldVWear.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great tips Andrea! I have so many petite friends and they have been asking me if they can wear maxi skirts/dress as well and will look as stunning as me. I think they've all got their questions answered, I'll let them read your tips . Thank you for such an informative post :) and thanks for leaving such a wonderful and long comment on my blog as well :) God Bless!

    xx
    Rica | www.sassycebuannachic.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some great tips Andrea! I have the exact opposite problem. I'm super tall. From one extreme to another. LOL
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there Andrea!

    Great blog post! It's very fun and informative. I’m also petite and often feel challenged about how to wear long skirts and dresses. Good tips! I'm a big fan of heels with long skirts.

    I just checked out your blog, and I really like the positive tone of it! I’m now following you…

    http://www.districthilo.com

    Love,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heels are absolutely a must! Agree with you, Andrea.

    JOURNAL OF STYLE / BLOGLOVIN

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, great tips for petite girls, babe, and I agree with you, heels are compulsory..
    kisses
    http://www.theitalianglam.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, great tips for petite girls, babe, and I agree with you, heels are compulsory..
    kisses
    http://www.theitalianglam.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. great tips!!! I'm in love with maxi dresses, for summer and winter too!! Fortunately I'm quite tall so it's easier to wear this kind of dress!
    Kiss
    Eli
    www.blackstarstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome advice, especially about avoiding horizontal stripes.

    www.girlcandress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE IT!
    http://www.thearmageddonflame.com/

    ReplyDelete

Leave me comments, I read everything and love reading your responses! xo

Blogger Template Created by pipdig