Thursday, April 23, 2015

Daily Face Routine - Feat InstaNatural Retinol Moisturizer

Hello Lovelies!
This post is in honor of yesterday's Earth Day and attempts at #goingGreen! 
I decided to share with you my morning face routine, using various products I have grown to like and have decided to try out! I received this InstaNaturals Advanced Action Retinol Moisturizer to try out, and I decided to replace my current moisturizer (from CVS brand), to compare it!

I decided to use this routine instead of washing my face with the other face washes because it helps save water! This way I use cotton pads instead of water and while it does generate some waste, with California's drought, any water saved is good! So I think its a good trade off.

1. Deep Cleaning Astringent - This Clean & Clear Essentials Deep cleaning astringent is something I love using, I pour some of it on a cotton pad and then wipe my face with it. I feel it working and it has salicylic acid acne medication to keep control of your acne! It is similar to the other face washes with salicylic acid but doesn't require any water! 

2. Pore refining Toner - my next step is using this Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner - I have heard a lot of other bloggers using this in their skin regimens, and it does work! I get a lot of blackheads and I make sure I use this to reduce the size of my pores so less likely to build up dirt in my pores! I also pour some of this on a cotton pad and in upward circular motions, cover my entire face, focusing primarily on my nose and cheeks near the nose (thats where I get blackheads the most, might be different for you!)
3. Advanced Action Retinol Moisturizer - This InstaNatural Advanced Action Retinol Moisturizer is a good product, I was looking on Amazon for the list of products from this company that I got the Dead Sea Mud Mask from, and this had good reviews so I thought I would try it. It is supposed to repair and restore your skin, containing Retinol, Vitamin C, Halluronic Acid, Jojoba oil, Shea butter and Green Tea extract. I dispensed a dime size amount on my finger and used my finger to spread it over my face! 

One of the downsides of this moisturizer is that you have to use an SPF with it - they suggest if you use it in the morning that you pair with with some kind of sunscreen. The other moisturizer I was using from CVS brand oil free moisturizer, had SPF 15, but it doesn't contain all of these extra ingredients that are supposed to repair and restore your skin.
4. CC Cream - After my moisturizer dried, I used my favorite Smashbox Camera Ready CC cream that has SPF30. I tend to wear this anyway to cover up blemishes and any dark spots/redness on my skin, so it wasn't too bad that I had to wear an SPF with the Retinol moisturizer. And it gives my skin an even, polished tone!

So did the product work? I have been using it for about 2 weeks, and I don't think I see a big different in my skin, any repair or restoration, although I am 26 years old, so maybe I don't have much damage to repair? The list of ingredients lists Aloe Vera as the top ingredient - which may be the reason why skin feels so smooth and soft, rather than the effects of the added ingredients.
Hyalluronic acid is typically used in cosmetic injections to reduce the presence of lines, so I'm not sure how much applying it to your skin in a small concentration will actually help, and the amount of Retinol (Vitamin A), doesn't seem to be in its active form (retinoic acid), so I'm not sure how much of anti-aging this product is actually doing. In addition, it is supposed to protect your skin but you are advised to wear sun block when going outside after applying it during the day -- meaning it must make your skin vulnerable to damage instead of fixing it!
Being a chemist, I was interested in looking at the ingredient list, and while there are several reviews out there on these kinds of products, no one actually looks to see what these compounds actually do and if they are in their active forms. All of the amazon reviews list the ingredients and how they are for smoothing your skin, hydrating your skin, providing anti-aging effects, deleting lines and wrinkles... but do you know how? A little google searching can do a body good. Looking up hyalluronic acid (just go to the wiki page!) made me not want to use this product! But this product is safe to use, and hyalluronic acid is at such low amounts, that it is commonly used, as I said, in cosmetic injections, so applying a small percent to your face shouldn't be an issue.

Overall, the product was nice, and I have a lot of it, and will possible continue to use it, but not on a regular, daily basis. It will be nice to use this to repair my skin if I feel like it is dry or damaged.

What is your normal daily face routine? Do you use any other products like an exfoliator that I missed in my routine? Have you tried any of these products before? Do let me know in the comments below!

xo
Andrea


PS. I was given this product at a reduced price to give my honest opinion and review, which I have given here! You get to see my inner chemist come out in this post! :)
SHARE:

21 comments

  1. I haven't tried any of these. I'm interested in the Neutrogena pore refiner. You have a great routine. I use the regular Smashbox primer and love it.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to have read about these products as I haven't tried them yet. I generally wash with Cetaphil and moisturize with Olay products. I use their serum, too. T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't try any of these products. Thanks for the info :)

    Have a great day!

    xoxo,
    SHAIRA
    www.missdream-girl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried any of these. Thanks for the review. That retinol seems great.

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good that you are a chemist, so that we can really trust you when you say you know about the ingredients - I totally trust! I liked your routine, I like Neutrogena and Camera Ready Smashbox, very much! True, you said that the down side is to add sun screen, cause the product doesnt have it, but it's not that bad. I also like using cotton balls instead of a splash of water! Although I do both :) I now really want to try this InstaNaturals Advanced Action Retinol Moisturize, cause I love moisturizers and also retinol products. I will try to get it from amazon, thanks for the ice tip!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep hearing good things about Retinol moisturisers :) I think I should get one!
    Edita
    www.pret-a-reporter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great products
    Clean & clear is an icon brand
    I love it
    XO

    Check my new post.
    The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  8. i use the same thing!! x lovejoystyles.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Andrea, very interesting!
    i love your blog and i follow u voa bloglovin and gfc
    kisses

    http://pearlsandrosesdiary.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the reviews! Such a great post:) Hope you are having a great week!

    Laura
    www.loveandsapphires.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely and thank you so much for your support!! I deeply appreciate it ;)
    My Lyfe ; My Story
    @MyLyfeMyStory
    @MyLyfeMyStoryBlog

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have heard good things about that Smash Box product
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. We haven't tried any of these but adding to retinol to our list. Thanks!

    xx 365Hangers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything looks really lovely and I like the variety of products! :)

    Layla xx
    www.sprinklesofstyle.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I am very intrigued with the retinol moisturizer, sounds like it has lots of goodies in it!! I dont mind it doesn't has spf since usually my foundation has one. :) loved reading about your routine!

    x Josune, Your Beauty Script ❤

    http://yourbeautyscript.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have read good things about these products before. Never tried it though. Great revieuw.

    Grtz
    Farah
    www.allroundpixel.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review, never tried any of these!!
    Kisses,
    Anna
    www.workingchix.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Retinol vs Retin A – I prefer retinol – but it must be gentle. I now use the Somaluxe Moisturizer which has the right level of balancing anti-aging with moisturizing. It has worked for removing my fine wrinkles and fixed some skin discoloration I had from previous sun damage. What i also like about the Somlauxe Moisturizer is that it has Hyaluronic Acid (WHICH IS A MUST IN A MOISTURIZER) which retains over a 1000 times its weight in water within the cells of skin, making it an excellent face plumper for like a fresh look.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The oil, or sebum as it is known, is designed to seal in moisture. When there is a lack of this moisture, the body produces additional quantities of sebum. Non comedogenic moisturizer with spf

    ReplyDelete

Leave me comments, I read everything and love reading your responses! xo

Blogger Template Created by pipdig