Sunday, March 29, 2015

Experimental Bio 2015 Conference Day 2 - Fashion and Recap of events!

Hell everyone!

Welcome to my Day 2 recap of the Experimental Biology 2015 conference!
Today I decided to go for a little more dressy, I recently bought this dressy midi skirt, a la Kim Kardashian (or so it reminded me of her), so I wanted to wear it out. This morning I changed outfits maybe 5 times before I decided on this combination.
I bought this dress skirt last minute at Ross, by Eci New York. It was the perfect size and super flattering. It wasn't tight or too fitted, I could easily move in it as it was made with stretchy fabric. I also wore a coral blouse top with a jeweled neckline I bought at Charlotte Russe. It was perfect because I didn't have to wear a necklace or jewelry after!
Since this is Boston in March, I had to make sure I wore a cover up. I originally was going to walk out of my hotel room without a jacket since it was super sunny outside, but then I realized this wasn't LA. And boy, was I right. IT. WAS. SO. COLD.
Since I grew up in Massachusetts, I didn't think the cold would be such a big deal. But it was, when I wanted to wear something cute like this outfit. The leather jacket that I love (from Express) was definitely not warm enough, because I was FROZEN wearing it. Do not be fooled, I look happy in these photos but I was freezing! Tomorrow I will be better prepared, with a more warm jacket and pants most likely!



Nonetheless, I really loved this outfit. I felt like a fierce fashionista, and felt super chic! The criss cross detail of the skirt was very flattering, and added a nice touch! Tucking in the coral blouse was also very flattering, and made me look slim! The jeweled detail was perfect for the conference, since I didn't have to add more pieces to my outfit and there was still an element of glam!
I topped off my look with a coral lipstick from last year's Kate Moss collection, #12. It was great because it lasted the entire day! It was great. I felt fab walking around the conference center the entire day! I wore some "comfy" low heels I bought from Payless, so they were cute but still fashionable. Walking around all day, though, it started to hurt.

And the Science:
Today I attended a poster session, where I knew some friends were presenting their research. It was fun hearing them talk about their research, and I learned a lot of new things!
After the poster session I quickly had lunch and checked out some of the vendors/exhibitions that were set up in the exhibition area. I got some free stuff, like pens, syringe highlighters, a mug, a water bottle, and more!
After about an hour of walking around, I headed over to one of the sessions I was waiting for all weekend, PTMs and Lysine Modifications. It was an amazing session, with a lot of cool research going on. I was really impressed by the talks, especially since 3 of them were student talks, and one was even an undergraduate!
I won't go into the scientific details about the talks, mainly because its getting late and I need to go to sleep (need to be up and at the conference center by 9:30 am tomorrow, and its already 2 am :o :(  ) This time difference is a real struggle, and I have a long day of talks and sessions tomorrow!
I did have a chance to meet a professor I had read a lot about and read a lot of his papers, it was great to make that connection! The professor had actually read a recent paper of mine that was published earlier this month, and I got some ideas about new experiments to try.
It was great! I am looking forward to the next Post Translational Modficiations Talk session tomorrow, on Arginine modifications. Right up my alley! I'm excited. I'm just hoping I can get up and be at the convention center on time!
For more specifics on talks, feel free to take a look at the Experimental Biology 2015 website, and also check out my twitter feed @phd_fashionista.

Here is today's outfit:

I had a chance to go to a welcome networking reception after this session, and I had a great time meeting other students! Everyone was super friendly and cool, and I actually met some fashionable students who I will be featuring in a future blog post on conference fashion! So stay tuned for that before Wednesday! I had a wonderful time, I am loving #EB2015 #expbio, it has so far been great!

What do you think about this outfit? Would you wear something like this for a conference or business? Do you own a midi skirt for business? 

Let me know in the comments below!

Stay tuned for tomorrows post! XO

Andrea

SHARE:

9 comments

  1. Love your outfit choice here hun. Smart but so chic! Sounds like such an interesting conference Andrea too :)

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is such a nice outfit! I love the idea of putting a leather jacket in this office wear :)

    Do you have an instagram account? Maybe we could follow each other. Let me know by leaving a comment on my blog or sending me a request. I'll follow back :) Thanks!

    IG: @shairangelique

    Have a nice day, Andrea!

    xoxo,
    SHAIRA
    www.missdream-girl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the criss cross detail on your skirt & hope you had fun in the conference.
    Please check out my new post & keep in touch!



    X
    http://subhamrai.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha shows you'd be a fab model - you look so happy and beautiful - not a hint of frozen in your face ;)
    Gorgeous outfit - love the color of you top!

    www.bohemianmuses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool is that? An experimental biology conference! Wow! So glad you met the professor you admire, and yes, you were right when you wrote "don't be fooled" - you really don't look like freezing, well done - you could be a model, because they look beautiful like you even when freezing! I loved the skirt and jacket and I simply love coral, so your top is amazing!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That outfit is fabulous! The skirt detail is unique AND looks awesome on you. Really great to meet up with you today :-) , xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your outfit looks perfect, so dynamic. So nice to hear your conference went well :)

    Love
    www.fancycorrectitude.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just getting around to your looks and worked my way backwards and I am in LOVE with this look! Even if you were freezing you cant tell and you pulled it off effortlessly! Way to go girl!

    XO SAMIRA
    www.stylemesamira.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this midi skirt on you! Super flattering and perfect for conferences! Hope you didn't freeze and enjoyed the rest of your conference! :)

    @academiquechic

    ReplyDelete

Leave me comments, I read everything and love reading your responses! xo

Blogger Template Created by pipdig